Friday 3 September 2010

Priests



The ideal of priests has existed from the start of the Church. They are men that know the churches teachings and of course what the Bible says. Their job is to inspire us and teach us about what it means to be a Christian. They are to remind us of God's love and forgiveness. In 2010, we need this more than ever. In a world where there is so may distractions. Where sins are not determined by the ten commandments, but in what is politically correct, where it is nearly embarrassing to say you are a Christian, we need priests more than ever.

I have studied to be a priest. In my short period of deciding whom I wanted to join, I have been with 6 different orders. One thing in common is their strong belief in God. Good memories is when we have prayed with each other and discussed things. However when I was studying, I noticed that priests were lonely. They spent the night alone in prayer but need companionship. Some priests were close to being alcoholics while others were sexually frustrated. The old priests didn't really know what was going on in the outside world. Many would say that this is very provocative, and it is. But it is my experience. When I was in the priesthood, I learnt how to drink.

It is important that we remember two things:

We need priests. As I said we need them more than ever. We can also read that there is a huge shortage of priests.
We also have to remember that priests are human. They have the same desires and problems as we have.
Priests have to have a better understanding of what life is like outside their houses. They have to know what economical problems that people have as well as family problems. It is my view that we should make life both easier for the priests and harder for them by allowing them to get married. This will give them experience and knowledge to understand what other people are experiencing. It works in protestant churches, and they have good experiences. I think that it would solve many problems in the catholic church.

Another suggestion I have is to let normal people help the priests. Visiting the sick and needy. Helping with prayer groups and give the priest more time to reaching out to people that he ordinary can't reach.

But until then, we owe the priests our gratitude and our respect. They have sacrificed a lot to be servants of God

No comments:

Post a Comment